Ferrovial to build data centre for Microsoft in Madrid

Intermoney | Ferrovial  are to build a new data centre for Microsoft in San Sebastián de los Reyes (Madrid), according to the business and finance daily, Cinco Días. Although the amount of the investment has not been disclosed, the newspaper’s sources put it at “hundreds of millions”… Microsoft plans to invest up to 12 billion euros in 17 data centres in Europe; in this way, the company would comply with…

US technology sector

It’s Not Too Late To Take Advantage Of The Technology Sector Rally

The spectacular results of the four major US technology firms drove the Nasdaq index to a new record high as it closed the week at 6.701, a rise of 35% since the highs of the technology bubble at the start of the century which was a psychological level many thought would never be recovered.

corporate tax rates 1981 2013 ireland france united kingdom united states chartbuilder

Corporation tax: Irish soften stance amidst growing international pressure

MADRID | By Sean Duffy | The OECD´s announcement this week that it was initiating a plan to combat tax avoidance schemes from multinationals has been met with almost universal approval across Europe. Ireland in particular has been the subject of criticism from its EU partners. Until recently, the country had determinedly defended its tax policy, famously refusing to negotiate on the issue when the country was in need of an EU bailout back in 2009.


Microsoft Republicans

WASHINGTON | US Republicans have been exceedingly successful at targeting the white population vote. The problem, Pablo Pardo argues, seems to be that it is a shrinking market while Democrat support grows.


Microsoft and B&N team up to win worldwide ebook battle

NEW YORK | Microsoft entered the battle for the e-readers this week thanks to a strategic partnership with Barnes & Noble. Their alliance, dubbed as NewCo, gives Windows creator a 17.6 percent equity stake for a $300 million investment and values B&N’s remaining 82.4% stake at $1.4 billion.  According to Goldman Sachs analyst Matthew Fassler, the deal is a “game-changer.” “The shift to digital is putting the world’s libraries and…


US huge corporate cash piles: 41% sits in foreign accounts

NEW YORK | It is the latest mantra on Wall Street: US companies are sitting on a lot of cash, $1,2 trillion, and that’s only counting non-financial companies in the Standard & Poor’s 500, says the Association for the Financial Professionals. This is a record: up 70% from 2007 and 200% for the past 10 years. This huge war chest makes a lot of people wonder: what are they waiting for?…